Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLANs Communications

Anyone please help out how do I enable the communications among VLANs such as "File Sharing", "Pinging" , etc ?

Is it true that after I trunk those VLANs to a Layer 3 switch by either "ISL" or "dot1q" then those VLANs can communicate each other for what were stated above ?

If I am using few stacked 2950 switches and with fiber backbone to the 3550, in command wise, how do I trunk those 2950 to the 3550 ?

Please help out.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VLANs Communications

If you have a router with Fastethernet interface, plug it into the switche and configure the port on switch as trunk port. Then on the router, create sub-interfaces on this fastethernet and configure ISL encapsulation with appropriate VLAN numbers and IP address.

This is called inter-VLAN routing.

configuring inter-VLAN routing using an eternal router.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/routing.htm#37431

HTH

R/Yusuf

Instead of using a router, can I use a Layer 3 switch (e.g. a 3550) to implement the VLAN communications ?

Yes, just trunk those VLANs from the access switches to a 3550 and give the necessary IP addresses to VLAN interfaces in the 3550.

Petri

Views
Helpful
Replies