Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vlans not commmunicating across domains

I have two switches connected together via a isl trunk. 5505 is set to vtp domain phx and the 4506 is set to phxeng. They are both on and transparent mode. One has version 2 enabled the other has version 2 disabled. The 4506 is running ios the 5505 running os. The same 4 vlans have been configured on both switches. It appears that some traffic is getting forwarded but anything large doesn't. I couldn't fix it so had to make four separate connections between the switches one for each vlan. What could be causing the problem?

Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: vlans not commmunicating across domains

Hi,

I'm a little confused by "It appears that some traffic is getting forwarded but anything large doesn't."

Are you able to ping through a VLAN?

One tip: When trunking between different VTP domains you have to set the ports to "no negotiate" on both sides.

Regards,

Milan

We could ping and ftp certain files but any large files(100mb) or so would bomb out. We did have the ports set to on, didn't try non-negotiate.

Any suspicious syslog error messages at the moment the file transfer fails?

Regards,

Milan

Nothing in the log to indicate a problem. We are going to try to reestablish the trunk and make it non-negotiate and see what happens.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content