cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs on Cat5500

sphudson
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have the default VLAN1 running fine. I created another VLAN(VLAN2 192.168.2.x) plugged the router(192.168.2.250)into the switch port that was changed to VLAN2. My question is I cant ping the router from VLAN1. Is there something I am missing?

2 Replies 2

bairdj3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

The router requires an interface (or sub-interface) per VLAN/IP Subnet in order route successfully between VLANs.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

You need to configure default gateway on the switch which would be a router interface in that same vlan. That router should w have interface in the second vlan or should know how to get there through static route or other routing protocol.

In your case if your router has a second interface attach to the switch and put it in vlan 1. configure the default gateway of the switch to be the interface ip address of the router in vlan1 and it would then be able to ping the router's vlan 2 interface ip address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: