Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLANs - Router on a stick

Wondering if anyone can provide guidance on max users in a router on a stick (Cisco 2621) vlan implementation. Services are limited to email & light web... I can't imagine the network growing over 70 users with all servers located on their own vlan. Switch connecting to the router is a CAT 4006.... I'm attempting to hold off buying the L3 card.

If lan traffic is 20% with 70, 10MB users....we're looking at 140MB, which is beyond the capacity of the single 4006-2621 fast ethernet link. Is this the correct way to calculate probable load or is my thinking too simple?

Thanks for the help....

Jim

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: VLANs - Router on a stick

The beauty of LAN traffic in a scenario like this is that it isn't constant. I have seen far more users that 70, using 100 Mbps, run across this type of configuration. And keep in mind that your 2621 has 2 F/E ports. So if traffic does get too heavy for a VLAN trunk, you can put one port in one VLAN, and the second in the other.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.