Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vlans shutdown

i have created Vlans on my switch and are active and can be seen when you do a show vlan command however when i do a show interface vlan X (where X is a vlan id ).the vlan interfaces are down.what could be the problem.Please note that vlan 1 is up.

6 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Vlans shutdown

What switch are you using ? If you take switches like 2950 , they donot perform layer 3 functions and allow VLAN for managaement purposes. Any other Layer3 VLAN u create is in shut state. Layer 3 Switches (3550 and 3560) allow u to create multiple VLAN between which u can do routing.

its a cisco 6500 switch

Silver

Can you check if it supports IP routing ?

Silver

Hi,

Sounds you are running hybrid mode. If so be aware that your interface vlan comes up as soon as you have clients connected and up. The exception is the vlan where your sc0 interface is assigned (which is most likely vlan 1).

Best regards,

Antonin

You need to have a device (PC, laptop, ip phone, server etc) connected to that vlan, for the interface (corresponding to that vlan) to show up on the ip routing table. (Line prot. on vlan to be up).

When you first create a VLAN by default the VLAN interface is shutdown. You need to go to your MSFC if that is what you're using, change to the VLAN interface and issue the no shut command.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content