cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs

rcarter1977
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 3750 EMI switches that will be used as switch/routers to internally route and 3 3750 SMI switches.

If I want to setup VLANs, what are my options? Designate ports for certain Vlans ? Designate MAC addresses for certain Vlans?

I'm new to this so I would like some ideas as what are the best strategies for a new network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies 8

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

are you looking for static and dynamic VLAN configuration???

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

When setting up vlan, just think of it as each vlan in it's own subnet. you can segment based on physical locatio, for example, everyone on floor 10 would be in vlan 10 (network 10.1.1.0/24) or based on adminitrative dept, for example everyone in account payable would be in vlan 10 (net 10.1.1.0/24). Vlan is just a separate broadcast domain or a network entirely on it's own, in order for it to talk to other networks it has to go to it's default gateway which is a job for layer 3 in your case the 3750 running EMI. No matter how you decide to segment the vlan each port a user will be connected have to belong to a vlan, whatever vlan it maybe. When you ask about designate mac-address for certain vlan, I think you are inquiring about VMPS, you'll needs a VMPS server. 3750 cannot act as VMPS server, they can only be clients. However, you can use a feature called vlan assignment using dot1x, this will require ACS server to act as dot1x authenticator and it's get complicated and you'll need more hardware. Best thing to do, is simplify by deciding how you would want to segment the subnets/vlan.

Hope that helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks for the responses.

For example: I want to setup 3 VLANS on 1 floor. Call them Vlans 1,2,3 in locations 1,2,3 respectively.

Say a user moves from location 1(Vlan 1) to location 2(Vlan 2) but hes suppose to to be part of Vlan 1.

Do I manually set his port to be part of the Vlan 1?

My main question is what is the best practice?

hi,

here as you are saying you want when your user of VLAN 1 will move to any other port he should become a member of the same VLAN which is VLAN1...this is the fundamental of dynamic vlan and for that you need to have VMPS which heandl the dynamic assignment of the same VLAN no metters where your user is connected as per above post your switch is not VMPS server so i think it is not possible on your switch...

hope this will help you

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

To confirm, in this case because of my 3750 switches, I would have to manually go into the switch and add the port to the Vlan?

There is no alternative other than buying VMPS server capable switches?

you can have static VLAN means, you have to manually configure the port in particular VLAN and when one user move from one port to other port of switch then the user will be the member of the vlan in which port is the member of it...it means when your user move from the port of the VLAN 1 to port of the VLAN 2 then it will be the member of VLAN 2.

i think no other solution than buying becaus i think 4000 and 6000 series switches are the VMPS server.

hope this will help you

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

You can use VPMS on 3750 but you need a switch that is VMPS server capable such as Cat6000. You can alos use IEEE 802.1x Authentication with VLAN Assignment, but you will need a TACACS or RADIUS server for authentication:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225see/scg/sw8021x.htm#wp1207975

Please rate helpful posts.

you can have more idea on VMPS from this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800e46f5.html

remember rate helpful post

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: