We have a VM-ware machine with two network connections for resilience. This VM-ware machine supports several virtual servers, and the whole lot is on, say, VLAN 10. My switch ports look something like this:
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10
Now I want to add a virtual server on a different VLAN, say VLAN 20. I have reconfigured my switch ports like this:
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20
switchport trunk native vlan 10
All the old virtual servers are working fine, as well as the physical node of the VM-ware cluster. Our server people must now set up the new virtual server so that it tags its frames as VLAN 20. So far it does not work.
My questions are:
1. Is it possible to do such a thing with VM-ware?
2. Is my switch configuration OK?
3. Is there any trick to this, that I can pass on to the server team?
4. Is there any fixed relationship between the IP address of a virtual server and its MAC address? If so, what is the mapping? If not, how is the MAC address determined.
1. Sure, using virtual switches with VMware ESX Server
2. Not sure. Why do you set vlan 10 as native? Can you post the output from "sh int Fa0/1 trunk"?
3. They should be careful when creating virtual switches in the machine and assigning Vlans in those virtual switches. Also, you say that machine has 2 network connections but you are just using 1 switch port. Why ?
I am setting VLAN 10 as native because that is the VLAN that all the virtual servers are on at the moment, untagged. I am hoping that they can create the new virtual server on VLAN 20 without interrupting the existing virtual servers on VLAN 10.
The machine has 2 network connections, and I have set up the two switchports identically.
Now that I know it is possible, I shall have to press them further to get the virtual switches working.
We are in the midst of doing the same thing. But we are using CatOS, and I know that we needed to enable dot1q tagging on the switch ports, and set up each port as a VLAN trunk, which it looks like you did. You may have to set the encapsulation to dot1q...
This is actually a pretty cool feature, i didn't even know it existed until I was looking for a solution to advertise a subnet (prefix in BGP talk), only if a certain condition existed. This is exactly what conditional advertisements does
j ai une question j ai achete un routeur cisco 887VA-k9 , je le configuré avec la configuration ci- dessous
si je le lier avec mon pc portable sur l un de ses ports directement ça marche toute est bien ( la connexion internet + m...
Attached policy provides CLI access to the Cisco 4G router over text messaging. Two files are in the attached .tar file:
2. PDF with instructions on how to load and use the .tcl file.