Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMPS and VTP and Layer 3 Design

I have a customer that has VMPS configured and working in a layer 2 network. It is working but we are seeing problems with vlans spanning their entire campus starting to cause problems.

Looking into a network design change where there will be layer 3 bounderies in the network. This means that we will be moving from a single VTP domain to multiple VTP domains based on layer 3 domains.

Question that I have is will VMPS still work?

In looking at the documentation, I am reading that VMPS is associating MAC to a VLAN Name mapping. As long as I keep the VLAN names consistant in each VTP domain, I think I will be alright.

Am I missing something?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: VMPS and VTP and Layer 3 Design

Hi,

I think you are correct, as long as the dynamic VLANs that are being applied to your users are present in the VTP domain and being trunked to all downstream switches it should be fine.

Thanks

Paddy

Re: VMPS and VTP and Layer 3 Design

Hello,

I think that vmps will not work if you use different VTP domains:

The VTP management domain and the management VLAN of VMPS clients and the VMPS server must be the same. For more information, see "Configuring VTP," and Chapter 11, "Configuring VLANs."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f9f3.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content