cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMPS/URT: Need a carrier-class solution for many switches

matt.woodling
Level 1
Level 1

I have a wide-spread network of switches at customer sites that are not part of a large VTP domain. I want to assign MAC address to particular VLANs on the customer premises 3548 switches. Here are some questions that are centered around VMPS but you folks that know URT should certainly feel free to add your thoughts:

On a 3548-XL, can dynamic VLAN membership work for an IP phone plugged into switch and PC plugged into phone and each be on a separate VLAN? Docs for 3548-XL say "Trunk ports cannot be dynamic ports, but it is possible to enter the switchport access vlan dynamic interface configuration command for a trunk port. In this case, the switch retains the setting and applies it if the port is later configured as an access port. You must turn off trunking on the port before the dynamic access setting takes effect."

How would the VMPS fallback VLAN work?

Is the VMPS fallback VLAN global for all clients?

Can the VMPS client switch and server switch be in separate VTP domains? Docs for 3548-XL say "The VTP management domain of the VMPS client and the VMPS server must be the same."

Can a 6509 VMPS server act as a VMPS server for multiple VTP domains?

How many clients can be supported on a 6509?

How many MACs?

Can I use pattern matching for MACs?

1 Reply 1

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center (http://www.cisco.com/tac) or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: