cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMPS

czabel
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to setup my 6509 core and 3548 closet switches to use VMPS. I have 7 different vlans and would like the switches to automatically detect which vlan the port should be on, but the documentation on how to setup the VMPS server is kinda vague.

4 Replies 4

ken.jones
Level 1
Level 1

You need to Setup a Tftp server, and configure the vmps download server ip address and file name on the catalyst Root Switch that you want to have as the VMPS server. Once you have configured the VMPSDB.Txt file, and copied to the tftp server, you can initiate the VMPS server (Catalyst 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx) to do a VMPS Download...

Then any workgroup switches can be configured to dynamically allocate ports based on MAC address to Vlan mappings in the VMPSDB.txt.

The 3548 will act as vmps client, and request validation when the port is initialised or activated. The VMPS Server (cat 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx) will respond to the dynamic port allocation request, with the vlan to MAC address mapping. And the dist. switch should do the rest.

Ken,

I am more curious what you would think about the security of a TFTP server. After all, TFTP server setup does not authenticate. What is your ideal setup of a secure TFTP server for the VMPSDB.txt? Please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help.

mailto:titansae@onebox.com

Make some filtering on TFTP port on TFTP server host and allow only access for TFTP sessions from your switch hardware. There is always spoof ability or other arp thiefs techniques but gives you first line of security ...

dstiff
Level 1
Level 1

czabel,

As these response threads show, you can manually do MAC address to VLAN mapping for dynamic ports, but maintaining the MAC to VLAN text file can be quite cumbersome. Cisco sells a product called Cisco User Regristration Tool that automates this process and allows you to assign VLANs per Windows/Novell user login IDs. Making setup much easier. Check out:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/urto/prodlit/cregt_ds.htm

For the data sheet and links to product documenation.

- David