Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VMPS ?

At one of our installations we need to implement port security on more than 100 Catalyst 3500XL switches. Since this would hard to administer I am thinking of doing VMPS instead of per switch port security configuration.

Do you VMPS is still recommended by Cisco? I was disappointed when I saw that Campus Manager 3.x removed VMPS support from UserTracking.

Also where can I find design guides how much memory does VMPS consume on the VMPS server CatOS switch?

Thamks,

Marton

3 REPLIES

Re: VMPS ?

Hi,

yes, CW2000 does not include VMPS anymore. Cisco wants you to use the URT-product instead.

I do not know about the server requirements, but as for Cat6K-VMPOS client; the switch must have at least 30% free memory, else the vmps-software wont work anymore...

"the switch must have at least 30% free memory, else the vmps-software wont work anymore..."

thanks, this is new to me, wish there was some documentation about VMPS server Supervisor Engine memory requirements. I do not want to go ahead and see that after x MAC addresses the CatOS says no more memory.

Hi Marton,

I am not sure the statement "the switch must have at least 30% free memory, else the vmps-software wont work anymore..." is documented anyway. The memory requirement for vmps server depends on the amount of mac addresses you have in the database which you download from a TFT server. Catalyst 5xxx and 6xxx (with 6.x) code support VMPS server funtionality.

It depends on the supervisor you have and the memory it has. If you looking for a large instalation of about 100 switches with alteast 50 mac addresses in each switch, that would be 5000 mac addresses in the database and it may better idea to consider URT for such a implemenation.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content