Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

voice traffic priority and load balancing on two serial links

Hi..

I have two point to point serial links from different service providers on the router. My outgoing traffic is data and voice. For load balancing we have configured eigrp on the router but by configuring this my voice traffic is breaking because of link delay problem.

My requirement is to load balance the traffic and to give priority to the voice traffic to improve the voice quality.

Please let me know how to achive.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
5 REPLIES

Re: voice traffic priority and load balancing on two serial link

Configure ppp multilink, on the links, (add them into a multilink group), and configure MLPPP fragmentation/ interleaving. This will help prevent, large data packets from causing delay to smaller voice packets. In addition to this, you can configure LLQ on the links, to give priority, as well as guaranteed bandwidth to voice traffic. Because PPP multilink is enabled, load balancing is taken care of...

Just wanted to add that if one serial link fluctuates, the voice traffic is badly affected, I have experienced this a lot.In such cases do u manually shut down the link?

Praful

When a serial link flaps, the link is automatically removed from the bundle, and the rest of the serial interfaces, in the bundle will share the traffic. If you have only two links, and one flaps, all voice traffic has to share the bandwidth, and hence the bad quality.

Hi..

Incase if i cann't configure multilink what is the otherway to improve voice traffic with eigrp routing enable between two links.

Configuration of Multilink is not possible because of other end customer issue. If is there any other way it will be very helpful to me.

Regards,

Jatin

VIP Purple

Hi,

you could try to configure CBWFQ in conjunction with ip rtp priority on both serial links. This way, even if there is only one link active, voice traffic will still be prioritized. Here is a config example from CCO:

The following example first defines a CBWFQ configuration and then reserves a strict priority queue with the following values: a starting RTP port number of 16384, a range of 16383 UDP ports, and a maximum bandwidth of 40 kbps:

! The following commands define a class map:

class-map class1

match access-group 101

exit

! The following commands create and attach a policy map:

policy-map policy1

class class1

bandwidth 3000

queue-limit 30

random-detect

random-detect precedence 0 32 256 100

exit