cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Volatility statement/letter for 7600 series cards (OSC-20C 48/1 DPT-SS)

ychaar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are a network testing lab and currently have a board for a 7600 series router that is in need to be  sent for repairs, but we need the volatility statement before we can do  so. Any help you can provide, even directing me to the right place,  would be welcome!

This is all the cards we currently have:

* OSC-20C 48/1 DPT-SS (this is the faulty card)

OSM-1CHOC12/T1-SI

OSM-40C3-POS-SI+

WS-X6582-2PA

WS-SUP720-3B

WS-S6748-GE-TX

WS-X6182-2PA

Would it be possible to get a letter encompasing all the cards in the list, in case we need to send them for repairs in the future? Otherwise a single letter for for the first one in the list is all we currently need. Thank you in advance for your help.

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

This board is generally for cisco customers to work out and resolve various networking issues.

For your situation I suggest contacting a local Cisco office.

Just out of curiosity, what is a volatility statement?

vmiller wrote:

This board is generally for cisco customers to work out and resolve various networking issues.

For your situation I suggest contacting a local Cisco office.

Just out of curiosity, what is a volatility statement?

It's about disclosing where and how customer data is kept, and how can be removed from a device, even if it has failed or is being decommisioned.

Just one more recent security paranoia.

Thanks Paolo,

I figured if anyone on this board knew, you would.

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, but for legal reasons Cisco doesn't provide these statements of volatility. 

Your account team can reach out to the product manager for help with where the non volatile memory is located on the OSM modules.

I apologize, but I was not sure where to post and there are actually several other posts regarding letters/statements of volatility around the forums. In fact the reason I wrote in was because I saw a Cisco representative provide one such statement (well written one too) as recent as last March. Could you be more specific on the legal reasons? It is not like a letter of volatility discloses any trade secrets. In my experience it only mentions if the system/board could potentially save any information passing through and how to clean any non-volatile memory, if there is any. Usually this is done by removing a battery, a reset button, or shorting some pins.

Believe me, if you don't know about statements of volatility, you want to stay that way. When your work *requires* them for about every piece of equipment that needs a repair or a calibration... It becomes a pain. By the way, Paolo, nothing recent about it. I have been for 10+ years at my company and it has been a requirement since before I worked here.

Preston, so if I am reading correctly, you cannot provide statements of volatility in the forums anymore BUT if I contact my account team they can work with the product manager to get me one or something like it?

I'm not in legal, but I can speculate that the problem is one of liability.  Yes, you can try to get your account team to work with the product manager to help provide you the locations of anything that might have saved sensitive information on the board.  I don't believe it will be an official statement though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: