Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP Groups

per.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

With VRRP a router can belong to multiple groups and be a master and backup for different groups

How many VRRP groups can a router be a memeber off.

Also can a router be primary for several VRRP groups , in other words what are the limitations

cheers

per

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, Per.

Let me summarise this in a more coherent manner so that I cover all your points:

- you can have 255 VRRP groups per *physical* interface

- if you have sub-interfaces created under the interface, then these sub-interfaces will have to use VRRP group numbers out of the global pool of VRRP groups assigned to the physical interface. Therefore, the sum of all the VRRP groups configured on sub-interfaces and the physical interface cannot exceed 255.

- if you configure a VRRP group number, say group 10, on the physical interface, you cannot then use that same group number on a sub-interface of that physical interface.

- on each interface, the router can be the Master for a single VRRP group. This is true whether the interface is a physical interface or a logical, sub-interface. To answer your question, a single router could be the master for more than one VLAN.

I hope that's cleared it up a bit :-)

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Per,

VRRP supports up to 255 VRRP groups on a single physical interface. And I believe a router can be the primary for all the groups configured on the interface...

Paresh

Actually, Per, I must correct my second statement. What I really meant to write was that the router could be a master on multiple interfaces - however, on a single interface, the router can only be the primary for a single group.

The actual number of groups that a router can handle will come down to processing power, memory etc.

Paresh

So what's the story on a Gigabit interface with different VLANS ????

Can you only be a master for one VLAN ?????

per

Ok, Per.

Let me summarise this in a more coherent manner so that I cover all your points:

- you can have 255 VRRP groups per *physical* interface

- if you have sub-interfaces created under the interface, then these sub-interfaces will have to use VRRP group numbers out of the global pool of VRRP groups assigned to the physical interface. Therefore, the sum of all the VRRP groups configured on sub-interfaces and the physical interface cannot exceed 255.

- if you configure a VRRP group number, say group 10, on the physical interface, you cannot then use that same group number on a sub-interface of that physical interface.

- on each interface, the router can be the Master for a single VRRP group. This is true whether the interface is a physical interface or a logical, sub-interface. To answer your question, a single router could be the master for more than one VLAN.

I hope that's cleared it up a bit :-)

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

As Usual it did

Thank Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: