cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Advertisements

gkirsch
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to turn off VTP advertisements - kind of like the way with trunk negotiation by setting both end of the link to "on" ?

I checked several websites with the client, server, and transparent modes and have no luck. Thanks for your assistance.

9 Replies 9

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In newer CAT OS, you can turn VTP off

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_5/confg_gd/vtp.htm#wp1028693

This feature is not available in IOS based switches.

Thanks for the help. I thought there was a command in the newer IOS train; just coundn't find it.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe there is any way to shut it off , in transparent mode it ignores them and will pass them on to other switches.

Thanks Glen,

I believe you are correct. Just unable to find any hard evidence. I know on the CATos switches there was a command: set vtp mode off.

Thanks for your answer

gkirsch
Level 1
Level 1

I think the answer might be VTP version 3? This mode is configuable on a per-port basis. Just remove from the ports you don't want the VTP traffic on. 1 and 2 are globally on or off.

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

The release that introduced VTP3 allows you to disable VTP packet tx/rx on a pert port basis.

This is applicable to all VTP version, not just VTP3.

So by just entering:

set port vtp x/y disable

You are preventing any vtp interaction on trunk x/y.

Of course, you still have the global mode vtp off that affects the switch gloabally.

Regards,

Francois

This must be in the very latest code because it is not part of the config code up thru 7.6.15 . I would say maybe this is a 8.X enhancement.

Yes, This is probably the newest code. Most of the replies are on the older CATos with the "set-clear-show" commands. This is an IOS based switch probably on 12.4 code.

IOS does not have the off mode yet (it's coming soon though). Your only solution is the transparent mode, where no VTP packets are created by the switch but where it still flood the one it receives.

Note that a switch in transparent mode uses the spanning tree for vlan 1 to flood the VTP packet it receives, so removing vlan 1 from the trunks should roughly achieve what the off mode does.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: