Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

VTP and vlan propagation between 3560 and 3508

i have a 3508 directly attached to a 3560 via fiber. i create a vlan on the 3508 and an vtp domain with password and join the 3560 to the same vtp domain and password. other switches attached the 3508 get the updated vlan(s) through vtp advertisements, but the 3560 does not. i am running 11.2(8.2)SA6 on the 3508, and 12.2(20)SE1 on the 3560. if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, i would love to hear them. i desperately need this vlan info to pass to the 3560 for easy ipt configuration.

9 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: VTP and vlan propagation between 3560 and 3508

Hello,

I assume the 3508 is the VTP server and the 3560 the client ? Is the trunk between the switches itself working ? Is the VTP version the same on both switches ?

You could try and change the 3560 switch to transparent and then back to client mode...

Regards,

GP

Community Member

gp, you assume correctly. i even change the server to the 3560 and the 3508 to client. no difference. both running v2.

VIP Purple

Are the connecting ports configured as trunk ports?

Brandon

Community Member

yes. all normal trunking configs are set correctly. no limitations on what vlans are being passed. dot1q is the encap on both sides.

Purple

I would try a simple setup with the 3560 being the server . Give both switches the exact vtp domain name . Create a couple of vlans on the 3560 , in config mode type vlan 2 , enter . type vlan 3 , enter . Do a show vlan and make sure both show active . configure trunks and verify on the 3560 that they are working correctly with the "show int trunk" command . Put addresses on each switch and see if you can ping across the trunk.

Purple

I'll take a shot here and say if you did not manually prune all the vlans off the trunk you don't need on the 3508 it probably is putting itself in transparent mode because the 3560 is trying to feed it like 1000 vlans which it cannot handle and thus put itself into transparent mode . You yourself said "no limitations on what vlans are being passed" . Look at the 3508 and do a show vtp status and see if it is transparent. try manually pruning off all vlans on the trunk except the few that you need with a vlan allowed command on the trunk port. the 3508 has a max of 250 vlans.

Purple

Disregard this , got to thinking and this probably isn't the case unless you have configured over 250 vlans . Just check the vtp domain name and make sure it matches , vtp version number and make sure the revision number on the client is lower than the server when you insert into the network . Not sure what else it would be as I have never seen it not work.

Community Member

Hi,

Can you attach port configurations and sh vtp status output from these two switches?

Best Regards,

Srdja

Community Member

well, i re-entered the vtp domain on the 3560 to make it identical to the 3508's domain (i had changed it in order to have another vtp domain at the other site--cant have one, ill have two). the vlan's propagated, but now traffic doesnt flow correctly. the 3560 is routing traffic on layer 3 and wont pass the traffic of that vlan to another router because that vlan is not terminated on the switch (it doesnt know the route).

ill look through the forums to see how to take out the layer 3 routing (i dont need it--it hampers my config) and possibly post again. but for now, this issue is solved but i dont know which one to give credit to.

thank you for your responses!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content