Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Client mode ?

philth_123_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

CCIE Routing & Switching by Wendell Odom says on P.38 Table 2-3 that VTP Client mode does not save the VLAN config to NVRAM or vlan.dat .

However, I have 2x 3550 switches and when I boot my client up without the server I still have all the vlan info that has been learned from the VTP Server. Can I take it that the client does store the VLAN config in vlan.dat ?

Cheers,

Phil.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree with you on that. Also note that information on UDLD is not correct either. It conflicts with software configuration guide.

I suggest you keep an eye on ciscopress.com for the errata on this certguide.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Phil,

I had the same thought when reading Odoms book.

The 3550 software configuration guide on VTP client mode:

"A VTP client behaves like a VTP server, but you cannot create, change, or delete VLANs on a VTP client.

In VTP client mode, VLAN configurations are not saved in NVRAM."

Take a look at this comprehensive document about the VTP protocol.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

HTH

Leon

* Please rate useful posts.

Thanks Leon,

Here is a snippit from the link you provided.

"This switch was previously used in the lab, and a good VTP domain name was entered. It was configured as a VTP client and was connected to the rest of the network. Then, the ISL link was brought up to the rest of the network. In just a few seconds, the whole network is down. What could have happened?

The configuration revision of the switch you inserted was higher than the configuration revision of the VTP domain. Therefore, your recently-introduced switch, with almost no configured VLANs, has erased all VLANs through the VTP domain.

This happens whether the switch is a VTP client or a VTP server. A VTP client can erase VLAN information on a VTP server. You can tell that this has happened when many of the ports in your network go into inactive state but continue to be assigned to a nonexistent VLAN."

This indicates that the configuration number is indeed stored somewhere and that this alone would make no sense unless it stored the vlan information for that revision number.

I have since run a test on my VTP client and a vlan.dat file is created and indeed reappears on boot up.

As far as I can see, Odom is wrong.

Regards,

Phil.

I agree with you on that. Also note that information on UDLD is not correct either. It conflicts with software configuration guide.

I suggest you keep an eye on ciscopress.com for the errata on this certguide.