cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP domain info across Sonet

DarylPienta
Level 1
Level 1

We just had our Sonet turn up, and we now have 2 ethernet handoffs connecting to of our buildings.

I have been working with Vlans and have created a VLAN domain, a server, and the rest of my switches are clients that belong to the domain.

Everything on side A of the Sonet sees the VLANs, my switch on side B of the Sonet does not see the Vlan information coming from Side A.

Is it not possible to share a VLAN domain across a Sonet ???

Is there a work around, or am I just missing something ?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Makes sure your vtp domain name matches on each side and also you are using the same vtp version number on both sides , I would think it should pass this ok.

rdoak
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue and Cisco CCIE told me our 3560 switches must be upgraded to Layer3 VLAN routing for this to work. Our SONET carrier has a separate VLAN assigned to our connections and therefore we must Route across the SONET instead of VLAN Trunking across.

Interesting

Any examples on how to do this ?

My problem might be with the 2948G switch which is located on Side A and is directly trunked to my VTP Server. It isn't showing any of the Vlans I created.

DarylPienta
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out, I used a - instead of a _ in my VTP server domain name

DOH !!!!

I was rushing around yesterday trying to get this up, which usually leads to typos eh !!

thanks