Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VTP domain info across Sonet

We just had our Sonet turn up, and we now have 2 ethernet handoffs connecting to of our buildings.

I have been working with Vlans and have created a VLAN domain, a server, and the rest of my switches are clients that belong to the domain.

Everything on side A of the Sonet sees the VLANs, my switch on side B of the Sonet does not see the Vlan information coming from Side A.

Is it not possible to share a VLAN domain across a Sonet ???

Is there a work around, or am I just missing something ?

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: VTP domain info across Sonet

Makes sure your vtp domain name matches on each side and also you are using the same vtp version number on both sides , I would think it should pass this ok.

I have the same issue and Cisco CCIE told me our 3560 switches must be upgraded to Layer3 VLAN routing for this to work. Our SONET carrier has a separate VLAN assigned to our connections and therefore we must Route across the SONET instead of VLAN Trunking across.

Interesting

Any examples on how to do this ?

My problem might be with the 2948G switch which is located on Side A and is directly trunked to my VTP Server. It isn't showing any of the Vlans I created.

I figured it out, I used a - instead of a _ in my VTP server domain name

DOH !!!!

I was rushing around yesterday trying to get this up, which usually leads to typos eh !!

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content