cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp domain info in startup????

tteslicko
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco sent my client a replacement switch. Event though my client sent the startup config to the new switch it still defaults to Server and has no domain info. Is this because Client mode VTP info is volatile? The startup config of the Server will retain VTP info???????

But the startup of the Client mode will not???????? We are now concerned for our VTP info in the event of hardware failures of disasters. I instructed my client to send a running config to the new switch and see what shakes.

6 Replies 6

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Is he setting it in VLAN database mode? If so that is no longer used and might be the issue. Can you post a copy of the config for us to look at?

If not make sure the config looks like this:

vtp mode client

vtp domain ???????

If not make sure commands are entered from the config prompt directly.

Hope this helps.

Steve

If the config was truly saved to nvram with the correct register, upon reboot the mode would not have changed on its own.

Under Client Chapter 3 Vlans/Vtp Modes of Operation//CCNP Study Guide/Switching / Lammle

Client:

“No global VTP info is kept if the switch loses power.

Global VTP info meaning what ????? If that includes the mode and/or VTP Domain, then that would mean trouble for any client that ever lost power.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your info has the vtp domain name and set as client is should come back up as a client . It will not have any vlan info in the config because the global vlan table is passed from the server . As long as the vtp domain name matches exactly the global vlan table should be propagated once the switch comes up . Port level vlan info should not change if you have saved your config correctly .

eward15
Level 1
Level 1

More than likely, you are using a switch like the 2950, 3550, etc. that holds its VTP information in a vlan.dat file. This file is separate from the startup-config file. Just modify the VTP domain name and add the VTP password (you do have one right?). The switch should get vlan information across its trunk ports (assuming the trunks are up and hard-coded on). The VTP mode can be changed before or after this happens.

BTW, since the VTP information is stored in the vlan.dat file, when you erase the startup config and reload the switch, the VTP domain and mode will still be there (until you delete the vlan.dat file and reload).

HTH.

Eugene

bbaillie
Level 1
Level 1

Newer IOS that supports the VTP configuration in the startup-config will only retain the VTP/VLAN information in the startup-config if you create/ modify settings from global configuration mode. Don't use the older "vlan database" command because it will store this information in the "vlan.dat" file in flash which you don't usually backup.

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: