cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain Name and Transparent Mode

rlmosko01
Level 1
Level 1

Can two switches connect via a trunk, one as a server and one as transparent and be in two different VTP domains respectively?

20 Replies 20

thanks you to u also...

hey its nice sharing of knowledge with u...i have to check it out this on my lab...hey can i have your yahoo email id ...

thanks again

regards

Devang

Hi Guys,

For the error messgae below:

Error Message DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port

[chars] because of VTP domain mismatch.

This you will got only when you have an automatic trunk negotiation using the DTP (dynamic trunking protocol) between the switches. The switches with different VTP domain name will not negotiate a trunk and a trunk will not form. But if you configure a trunk manually (not using DTP) then the trunk will work.

HTH, Please rate if this helps

-amit singh.

Do all switches in the path have to be configured as nonegotiate? I also need to allow certain vlans to transverse the trunk.

Nope all switches in the path dont have to be configured to negotitate. I would prefer hardcoding the trunk as oppose to leaving the interfaces to negotiate on DTP.

If you want certain vlans to travel on the link, then u can filter unwanted Vlans using the " switchport allowed " command.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

All trunk ports are configured as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/48

description *****Connect to Idea Stream Data Center*****

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 12

switchport trunk allowed vlan 12,50

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

This still does not allow communitcations from the server switch through the transparent switches to the client switch. I don't think it will work because of the two different vtp domains. ?????

hi,,,

you can check it out this link...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225see/scg/index.htm

when this link open then download PDF version of whole book...and got to page number 324 and read the VTP version 2...it will help u ...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: