Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Help

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've just installed two switches and I've configured vlan's on one of the switches and set it to be server, while the other switch is a client.

The problem is that the client isn't updating its database. Can someone please help me fix this?

Thanks in advacne

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan,

One other pre-requisite for VTP is that there should be at least one trunk port between the two switches. Is that the case for your setup ?

You might also want to check that the VTP passwords on the two switches match.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Dan,

Confirm that you have configured the same VTP domain name on both the switches (it is case-sensitive). Also check that the VTP configuration revision number on the client is lower than that on the server (show vtp status). If that is not the case, change the VTP domain name on the client to some temporary name and then change it back to the correct domain name. That will reset the revision number to zero.

Paresh

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've reset the revision and it still hasn't updated. The domain names and password are the same.

On a more basic level how can I make sure that the switches can see each other. I think they can because I can see the cdp information.

VTP info (server):

sh vtp status

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 15

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 20

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : live

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x98 0xEF 0x64 0x5C xxx0xAD 0x99

VTP info (client):

sh vtp status

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 6

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name : live

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x10 0x9B 0xF4 0x7E xxx0x2D

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

One other pre-requisite for VTP is that there should be at least one trunk port between the two switches. Is that the case for your setup ?

You might also want to check that the VTP passwords on the two switches match.

Paresh

Hi

Brilliant that worked. Thanks for your help.

Hi Dan,

Make sure the link connecting to the 2 switches have been configured as a trunk as VTP updates are propogated only through trunk links.

Also try creating a dummy VLAN on the server and see whether it gets propogated to the client. This action will force the VTP server to send an update to the client.

Narayan