Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VTP Password on 2950

Is anyone aware of how to set a vtp password on the 2950 model? It appears the command is not available in my 12.1(9)EA1 release. Is there a problem with a vtp password on IOS switches?

6 REPLIES

Re: VTP Password on 2950

From privileged exec mode, enter the following commands:

vlan database

vtp password

Hope this helps.

Those commands are not available to me with my IOS software. I believe you are describing Cat OS commands. The only commands available to me in exec mode are vlan "ID" and under VTP "domain, file, interface and mode".

These commands are not entered in global configuration mode (after typing config terminal), they are entered in privileged exec mode (immediately after typing enable and the enable password). The Cat OS commands would start with SET.

Cisco Employee

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12111ea1/scg/swvtp.htm#xtocid18

Here is a screen capture from a switch running 12.1(9)EA1

Switch#vtp password ?

WORD The ascii password for the VTP administrative domain.

Switch#vtp password

That worked. I was confused by the options to set in global config mode and the options to set at the enable prompt. The documentation is not correct. It needs to say exit global config mode after you create the domain and in priv EXEC mode and set the password. It may be worth mentioning to the programmers or documentation folks.

Thanks!

Mike

en

config t

line vty 0 5

password XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

login

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content