Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VTP pruning and prunelegibility

Could someone explain the difference between enabling VTP pruning and enabling VTP pruneligibility without enabling VTP pruning for the entire VTP domain.

4 REPLIES

Re: VTP pruning and prunelegibility

I´m interested in your question but I´m not sure I understood correctly what you are asking.

Please reply with the commands for both things or some more information.

Regards,

Patricio.

I was researching VTP pruning. Came across this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_6_1/config/vtp.htm

There is one paragraph that say this:

"You can set VLAN pruning-eligibility regardless of whether VTP pruning is enabled or disabled for the domain. Pruning eligibility always applies to the local device only, not for the entire VTP domain."

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Does this mean that I do not need VTP pruning running throughout the domain, to have some sort of pruning or pruneligibility (local to a switch)?

Please explain how the VTP domain pruning is different from just having prune-eligibility local to a device?

I think you should consider the taking Building Cisco Multi-layer switched networks?

Anatoly,

my understanding is that you can set|clear vtp pruneeligible vlan_range on each switch individually (it just defines which VLANs could be pruned on the particular switch). But to start pruning process you have to set vtp pruning enable on the vtp server switch. Nothing is pruned in fact until you enable pruning on the server switch.

HTH,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies