Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VTP trunking issues

I have a VTP domain with approximately 70 VLANS. Some of our older switches are only capable of handling 64 VLANS and therefor switched from VTP Server to VTP Transparent when the limit of 64 VLANS was reached. I need to configure some of those older switches for newly added VLANS.

I have since limited the VLANS that are allowed on the trunk link (on both sides) and deleted some of the disallowed VLANS from the Transparent switch. I would like to turn the switch back to Server mode, but it immediately switches back even though it has less than 64 VLANS .

Is there any way to return this switch back to a VTP server?

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: VTP trunking issues

Hi,

What sort of switch is it ? Did you configure a VTP domain name when configuring it as a server ?

Paresh

I have the problem with 2924XL and 2950 switches. I am using the same domain name as other switches it is connected to

Purple

If you have some bigger switches you should make them the server and make the old switches as clients . What is happening is as soon as you switch it back to server it is taking an update from another server which has more than 64 vlans and this switches back to transparent . Not knowing your setup that is my guess . If you have a bigger newer switch make that the server and the older ones like 2924's or 3524's the clients .

Bronze

If you are configuring the switch as a VTP server in a new domain, it should not be a problem but becoming the VTP server in an existing domain would mean that when you enter vtp mode server, the configuration revision number for that domain in that switch starts off at 0. In this case, it would recieve a vtp advertisement for the same domain from an existing server with a higher configuration number and overwrite the configuration you just created.

Try creating just one server and all others in client mode.

HTH

Arvind

I tried making the other problem switch into a client, but it changes back to transparent immediately.

If I try to set the same switch as a client it still changes back to transparent immediately.

It must be getting updates from somewhere because if I change the domain to something else I can configure it as a server. However, the instant I change the domain back it changes to transparent.

Views
Helpful
Replies