Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP version 2 or 1?

ROBERTO TACCON
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

if i run the following command for verify the VTP version on a cat6509 I can see:

#sh vtp domain

DOMAIN INDEX: 1

VTP VERSION: 2

LOCAL MODE: Server

V2 MODE: disabled

The question is : is the VTP running the version 2 or the version 1 ? What does mean the V2 MODE and the VTP VERSION?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fvalcho
Level 1
Level 1

The switch is VTP Version 2 capable, V2 is not enabled for this switch. The switch is currently advertsing that it is a (running) V1 VTP switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tsasbrink
Level 1
Level 1

it seems that the switch is telling you that's it v2 capable but lateron tells you that the functionality is disabeled.

fvalcho
Level 1
Level 1

The switch is VTP Version 2 capable, V2 is not enabled for this switch. The switch is currently advertsing that it is a (running) V1 VTP switch.

jrickard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

your cat is running VTP version 1, but IS version 2 capable. This functionality exists as ALL switches in a VTP domain MUST run the same version.

entering the 'set vtp v2 enable', command on one switch ( probably only on a VTP server, but i'm not 100% sure about that), will propogate the version change to all other switches that are VTP capable..BUT you will loose contcat with anything that not V2 compliant..so check carefully 1st. ( this dosnt work from going from version 2 to version 1, by way)

hope this helps

regards

joe