Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noc

VTP vlan number limit on cat2950, how to solve?

I have 20 cat2950 and cat2924 across a LAN, and i need to have more than 64 vlans in my network. Network topology such, that i will not have problems with STP limitation - this is a star topology across sity points - but now i have problem with VTP, cat2924 limit - 68 vlans in vtp, cat2950 limit 64 vlans. But in documentation about cat2950 i see number of 204. When i add new vlan (65) in vtp, than all 2950s move to vtp transparent mode, and cant work with this new vlan. How can i resolve this problem? Can i try to use in network 2 vtp domains, or may be i can use some other features for it?

Thank you very much!

6 REPLIES

Re: VTP vlan number limit on cat2950, how to solve?

The max number of VLans allowed on 2950 is only 64 with the Standard Image(SI). Of course with Enhanced image (EI) you can have upto 250 Vlans.

I guess you are running only a SI.

Cisco Employee

You are running into the spanning tree instances limit of 2950 switches

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12111ea1/scg/swstp.htm#xtocid3

64 is a hardware limitation and cannot be changed. If you want you can think about other spanning tree implementations such as MSTP(Not all switches support MSTP)

noc

As i understand, STP will working in first 64 VLANs. All other VLANs will be working without STP, am i right? Really i need in loop-control only in 10-20 VLANs - this is really VLANs with several departments and routers. All other my VLANs - only way to connect customer by Ethernet to router subinterface - all switches spread across city points of presence. I think, that STP limitation will not be a problem for me - i reserve vlan numbers from 1 to 60 for VLANs which can require STP, other numbers - for customer connections. But i need in VTP for pruning and store information about all vlans in one place. The other way - do not use VTP, but it will require a lot of manual configuration on switches. What is better way? Thank you!

noc

Thank you very much!

Does upgrade to Enhanced image is only software upgrade? Can i use such image on my existed 2950s or i need hardware upgrade too?

You have 20 switches, just say you have 12 ports each switch than you can create 240 vlans(12X20) on your network with one user per vlan, now say you need 2 users per vlan than you still can get 120 vlans with 2 users per vlan! not enough? what about 24 ports each switch?...

If you can't create more than 64 vlans in a vtp, than create more than one vtp servers in the same domain name so that they can share all vlans information. that's it, problem solve! hopefully...

noc

I have several (appx 50) customers connected to my network via Ethernet xDSL bridges. Each connection require personal VLAN to connect it to router's dot1q subinterface personally. Also i have some divigions connected through my network. A number of VLANs required can be much more. The next thing - if i will have 2 vtp servers in one vtp domain, than all this servers share vlan database across network and this will be same as i have one vtp server (i use 3 vtp servers in my domain because it store vlan database into flash memory). I can try divide my network to 2 vtp domains, and connect this domains throught router, isn't it?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content