cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP VLAN Questions

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4507s and 5 3000 series switch. I am going to set up a VTP server on one of the 4507s for the 3 vlans i will have. so on the vtp server lets say i want ports 4/10-28 to be on vlan2. do i simply do this:

Int range GigabitEthernet 4/10-28

No shutdown

Switchport access vlan x

Also lets say i want to make one of the 3000 series catalysts on vlan 1

do i repeat the same procedure?

5 Replies 5

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

VTP basically only advertises vlan databases to client switches. Port to vlan asociation has to be done manually on both client and server switches.

So to answer your question , if you want to assign vlan 1 to several ports on Cat 3x00 switch , you will do it manually and yes the same procedure can be used.

thanks

Salman Z.

so basically i:

Int vlan x

Ip address 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0

No shutdown

Exit

then i come and:

Int GigabitEthernet blade/port or (int range GigabitEthernet blade/port-end_port)

No shutdown

Switchport access vlan x

and do this one every switch including the VTP server?

No.

By doing "int vlan x" , you are creating an L3 vlan and that is only required on a switch that is doing an L3 routing. Neither by doing "int vlan x" you create L2 vlans.

L2 vlans are created on VTP server by doing the following.

config t

vlan x

And once the trunks are established to the vtp client switches , that vlan information gets distributed to the client switches.

Then you go on client switches , and do

interface range fa0/1 - 10

switchport access vlan x

Doing int vlan x

and then assigning an ip address under it is required only on a router / switch thats doing inter vlan routing .

thanks

Salman Z.

No.

By doing "int vlan x" , you are creating an L3 vlan and that is only required on a switch that is doing an L3 routing. Neither by doing "int vlan x" you create L2 vlans.

L2 vlans are created on VTP server by doing the following.

config t

vlan x

And once the trunks are established to the vtp client switches , that vlan information gets distributed to the client switches.

Then you go on client switches , and do

interface range fa0/1 - 10

switchport access vlan x

Doing int vlan x

and then assigning an ip address under it is required only on a router / switch thats doing inter vlan routing .

thanks

Salman Z.

so its:

conf t

vlan x

ip address 192.168.10.101 255.255.255.0

like that?