cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP VLAN Questions

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4507s and 5 3000 series switch. I am going to set up a VTP server on one of the 4507s for the 3 vlans i will have. so on the vtp server lets say i want ports 4/10-28 to be on vlan2. do i simply do this:

Int range GigabitEthernet 4/10-28

No shutdown

Switchport access vlan x

Also lets say i want to make one of the 3000 series catalysts on vlan 1

do i repeat the same procedure?

5 Replies 5

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

VTP basically only advertises vlan databases to client switches. Port to vlan asociation has to be done manually on both client and server switches.

So to answer your question , if you want to assign vlan 1 to several ports on Cat 3x00 switch , you will do it manually and yes the same procedure can be used.

thanks

Salman Z.

so basically i:

Int vlan x

Ip address 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0

No shutdown

Exit

then i come and:

Int GigabitEthernet blade/port or (int range GigabitEthernet blade/port-end_port)

No shutdown

Switchport access vlan x

and do this one every switch including the VTP server?

No.

By doing "int vlan x" , you are creating an L3 vlan and that is only required on a switch that is doing an L3 routing. Neither by doing "int vlan x" you create L2 vlans.

L2 vlans are created on VTP server by doing the following.

config t

vlan x

And once the trunks are established to the vtp client switches , that vlan information gets distributed to the client switches.

Then you go on client switches , and do

interface range fa0/1 - 10

switchport access vlan x

Doing int vlan x

and then assigning an ip address under it is required only on a router / switch thats doing inter vlan routing .

thanks

Salman Z.

No.

By doing "int vlan x" , you are creating an L3 vlan and that is only required on a switch that is doing an L3 routing. Neither by doing "int vlan x" you create L2 vlans.

L2 vlans are created on VTP server by doing the following.

config t

vlan x

And once the trunks are established to the vtp client switches , that vlan information gets distributed to the client switches.

Then you go on client switches , and do

interface range fa0/1 - 10

switchport access vlan x

Doing int vlan x

and then assigning an ip address under it is required only on a router / switch thats doing inter vlan routing .

thanks

Salman Z.

so its:

conf t

vlan x

ip address 192.168.10.101 255.255.255.0

like that?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: