cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have just realised that the only switch at a remote site is vtp client. It is in no way linked to our main site vlan wise. As below:

xxxxx#show vtp sta

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 1

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 6

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name :

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Enabled

MD5 digest : 0x57 0xCD 0x40 0x65 0x63 0x59 0x47 0xBD

Configuration last modified by x.x.x.x at 3-1-93 00:09:51

What are the repercussions if

a, i changed the switch to server

b, i leave it as client but configure it to be in the same domain as the main office so that i can administer it from the main office.

If I do the above during the day, will there be any major down time. WIll i loose any network

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

you can do

b, i leave it as client but configure it to be in the same domain as the main office so that i can administer it from the main office.

BUT

1) you need a working trunk between the main office and the remote site switch. If there is a router between them VTP info will not pass.

2) Be careful when changing the domain name. If you change the domain name on the remote site switch, the revision number should be changed to zero, which is OK. But doublecheck it before connecting to the main office VTP domain. If it were hihger than the revision number on the main office, the main office VLAN database could be overwritten.

If there is a router between the main office and the remote site I'd recommend to change the remote site switch to a VTP server and configure a different domain name on it. It would have no impact on switch function. The only result would be the possibility to define new VLANs on the remote site which might be useful.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

you can do

BUT

1) you need a working trunk between the main office and the remote site switch. If there is a router between them VTP info will not pass.

2) Be careful when changing the domain name. If you change the domain name on the remote site switch, the revision number should be changed to zero, which is OK. But doublecheck it before connecting to the main office VTP domain. If it were hihger than the revision number on the main office, the main office VLAN database could be overwritten.

If there is a router between the main office and the remote site I'd recommend to change the remote site switch to a VTP server and configure a different domain name on it. It would have no impact on switch function. The only result would be the possibility to define new VLANs on the remote site which might be useful.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you so very much

i would advise against using the same VTP domain name & changing mode to server. you never know where that switch is going to end up and configged as a server it might do a lot of config damage in the future.

why not create a new VTP domain for your remote site?