Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC with 26xx setup queries

spyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am attempting to configure a single port VWIC E1 card installed in a 26XX.

I have two hopefully simple questions that are bugging me.

1) With the VWIC card newly installed I can view it using the controller

sub menu. However i cannot view it as an interface. It is unrecognised.

However, if I run through the SETUP I am prompted if I want to configure

ser0/0:0. However this virtual serial interface is not avaialble thru: config t - int ser0/0:0.

Only after configuring it using SETUP can I access it using 'int ser0/0:0'

Why is this?

Am I missing something, is there another way of accessing it directly without going thru SETUP at the time of first install?

2) Following on from 1 above. Assuming the WAN link is OK...(I have a carrier detection light on the 26xx), AND that settings lik eencapsulation, etc etc is all consistent with the router at the other end of the line, why does the interface ser0/0:0 show up as being in "reset":

#sh int ser0/0:0

serial0/0:0 is reset, line protocol is down

I have repeatedly tried shut and no shut on the interface and with no luck.

Incidentally the status of the E1 0/0 is also down, despite setting it to no shut.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpedro
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem, I had to make sure my controller was set up properly first, before it was able to see my virtual interace.

I used these commands

controller T1 1/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

is the controller shut down

sh controllers e1 0/0

is it is do a no shut

router (conf) controller e1 0/0

router (conf-contr)no shut

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Simon,

I just installed a NM-HDV-2T1 in a 2651XM last weekend. I ran into problems getting the VWIC to recognize the DSP resources. TAC advised me to upgrade to IOS 12.2(15)T2. I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question. Here's the relevant section from my config, some of these commands are to support faxes:

!

controller T1 0/0

framing esf

clock source line primary

linecode b8zs

ds0-group 0 timeslots 1-12 type fxo-ground-start

ds0-group 1 timeslots 13-21 type e&m-wink-start

translation-rule 100

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.20.1.20 255.255.0.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip default-gateway 10.20.1.1

ip http server

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.1.1

!

!

!

!

call rsvp-sync

!

voice-port 0/0:0

output attenuation 0

!

voice-port 0/0:1

fake-answer-disable

!

I hope this helps.

Randy

Thanks for the answers guys.

The controller was not administratively down, just down. Despite several "no shuts" being performed on the controller there is no change in status.

I cant find any documentation abou the status of "reset" and what it means.

I guess this means a carrier problem maybe? Even though the CD light is on for that card..?

I havent spoken to the TAC about it yet, but I will give it a try. Im running IOS 12.2 (8) T5 so an upgrade may help.

I hope that if it is a problem related to the E1 link, once its resolved the E1 controller will come online, then that will kick the ser0/0:0 into life...is that possible...? I have never installed one of these cards before so its black magic to me..;-)

Is it correct that the ser0/0:0 will not function unless the controller E1 0/0 is live, and vice versa, e.g: one cant work without the other?

Any ideas on the "reset" status?

thanks again

I've seen "reset" as the status of serial interfaces that are defined as a channel group on a controller, when the controller is down. This is consistent with what you are experiencing.

Mark

Thanks for all your comments.

It turned out the VWIC setup was fine, so was the virtual serial interface.

There was a problem with the carrier somehwere along the line so I wasnt getting a true connection. Once the line was fully up from end to end the controller and interface came up immediately.

Cheers,

Simon

mpedro
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem, I had to make sure my controller was set up properly first, before it was able to see my virtual interace.

I used these commands

controller T1 1/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

Sorry for the confucing messages here.

The channel setup was slightly wrong, and as it is a G703 inteface i had to set it to unframed, that in combination with the line problems were causing all the issues.

Thanks again all....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: