Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake On Line / Ip directed-broadcast

DWAM_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

A customer use a program on a server to wake up its computers.

When the server is on the same subnet that computer : there is no problem.

When the server is on another subnet that computer : frames are dropped by the switch layer 3.

So we think that it's dropped because we don't activate ip directed-broadcast on the vlan interface.

Is someone already use WOL ?

Before to implement this feature,we want to know what is the effect of ip directed-broadcast on the interface vlan, in know that we have ip helper on theses interfaces (dhcp use)?

Are there others solutions ?

Thank You.

Ps : Read same question - ip directed-broadcast and wake on lan - 18 jul. http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee9701a

Router Configuration for Wake On Lan

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee85627/2#selected_message

9 Replies 9

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

If you are using helper address appropriately on the corresponding interfaces, ip directed broadcast should be a good solution.

Thank you for you answer umedryk.

Finaly I have use ip directed-brodacst with ACL.

Customers say it work good and actually there is no effect side.

I have find another interesting documentations which explain how work WOL, security issues,... :

http://www.giac.org/practical/Andrew_Scheible_GSEC.doc

Regards.

Did you use the specific source addresses of the Gateway Servers or the port (port 9 discard port) in your ACL?

Thanks.

Dennis,

Do you mind posting the ACL that you used. Also, how did you make sure the ip directed-brodacst for the WOL did not clabour your ip-helper?

Thanks.

Hello,

It was something like that :

-> access-list 15 permit @IP_Server_WOL

-> int vlan XX

-> ip directed-broadcast 15

Well I say that because customer have said me that there weren't and there are not side effects.

Application time responsives, DHCP work.

Regards.

Are you saying you need the IP helper configured for the IP directed broadcast to work?

Thanks.

Hello,

The customer need ip helper for dhcp uses (2 DHCP servers in one vlan, DHCP client in others vlans)

Ip directed broadcast is used to propage request wol in my case.

I think if you use only ip directed broadcast to wol configuration, it will work.

Regards.

Thanks - just wanted to clarify that.

One of the pitfalls in specifying the port for the WOL (port 9) in the ACL in conjunction with using 'ip helper' on a router is that could conflict with each other, since ip-helper is using ports 67-68 to get through.

_ Alex

p.s. can you please cc: me directly on your response afalkovich@lnc.com - thanks

Do you happen to know if the ip-helper is utilizing broadcast or multicast packets?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: