Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wan Advice

I use a cisco 3640 router at the center of my network. Remote nodes have cisco 1601s connecting over 56k dedicated lines. It is time to change. We think it is time to get a T1 up to a frame cloud that all of the other sites feed into. I am just starting to research this and thought someone who has been through this might have some tips/warnings/etc. I am thinking of pulling all of the interfaces in the 3640 and getting an interface that will run the T1, but the router is a few years old and it may be time to buy new (If I can afford it). What about having a redundant router/interface? I am a CCNA which has helped me a great deal in improving/maintaining this network but with so many choices it can be difficult to determine the best cisco hardware options to help me meet my goal. Would a cisco sales person be any help or do they just process orders? Again, any tips or links to resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Wan Advice

I don't have a clear picture of what you are going to do, but if physical location permits, you should have no problem having pvc's for your remotes built over your T1. Your router should just need a serial port for the T1. The 3640 should be able to handle that and more without breathing hard.

Re: Wan Advice

I think the 3640 will be fine too. I am looking at the hardware and interfaces to buy now. When this is done I will have open WIC slots and was thinking of buying a second WIC-T1-DSU or whatever for an empty slot for redundancy/backup. That won't help much if the whole 3640 dies. I may try to find a smaller(fewer bays) and cheaper router for a backup that will handle the same traffic. Do you think that is smart or overkill? Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content