cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN routing loop

csuwanski
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, here a no brainer that seems to have stumped me...

I seem to have a routing loop over my WAN. Communications seem to be up and running, but when I try to download files across the WAN, the link slows and comes to a stop.

This is what the router shows when I ping the remote fe0/0 side from the local fe0/0 side.

Tracing the route to 170.1.46.1

1 42.1.16.2 8 msec -- bounces between the s0/0 on both routers--

42.1.16.4 8 msec

42.1.16.2 4 msec

Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

rlcarr
Level 1
Level 1

You don't necessarily have a loop, you just have two seperate paths to the same destination. Issue a 'show ip route 170.1.146.1' and it will show you the two paths it has and how it learned them. I'm assuming since the traffic slows and you didn't expect it to that one on the paths is either slower or already extremely burdened. Depending on the routing protocol you are using you can easily weight the routes it prefers. A protocol like EIGRP should have accomplished this automatically because his calculation for metrics involves delay. Where as with a protocol like OSPF it only looks at the bandwidth statement.

Hope this helps,

~rlc

CCNP, CCDA, CNE

Actually, the two paths goto seperate WAN's. This is a 2621 with 2 WIC connecting two smaller buildings to a larger one. I am only running RIP and the 'sh ip route' statement only showed the one correct path.

I wish it was that easy.. :)

Thanks for your help..