cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Slowdown, how to troubleshoot??

patuba
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. At 4:30 every day our WAN access slows to a crawl for about 15 minutes then works normally again. This has been going on for over 6 months now. I have tried using a packet sniffer on the LAN interface on the router to look for increased traffic at 4:30.

I did a sample capture at 2:30, when everything was working fine, and another at 4:30, when the slowness occurred, for comparison. The amount of packets recieved were close to the same and the packet types were the same as well so it doesn't appear that there is more traffic at 4:30 than anyother time.

There are no servers or computers running any automated tasks at that time.

Does anyone have some more ideas on how I can troubleshoot this to see when the slowness happens?

5 Replies 5

matt.cox
Level 1
Level 1

Can nobody help me with this?

Is this between two locations or is this your connection to the internet?

are you running mrtg on the router interface ?

m.bury
Level 1
Level 1

An option could be to download an evaluation copy of Denka (based on MRTG). The eval copy will allow you to monitor 5 variables, such as in/out byptes per second, cpu, erros, etc - the info is graphed and displayed over an hourly, daily, and weekly period. If the problem appears to be traffic related, enable accounting to find the source and destination address of the server/pc/network device - again, you can use a tool such as WANspy to graph this type of info.

Hope this helps. No abuse please from any hardcore engineers about the use of graphing tools.

Matt.

rm.p
Level 1
Level 1

sir

i am raghunathan

i am an network system integrator

i have woked on both LAN and WAN

i have seen your problem

i have got one suggestion for u.

just check out your stractured cabling has been done properly or not.

check whether any ups cables been passing parallelly .

just check out, if it works it will be good.

thanking you

m.k.raghunathan