cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Technologies available

belser
Level 1
Level 1

We have been tasked to bring 4 sites together. Two of our main sites are located in the US. One on the west coast and one on the east coast. We also have another site in the UK and on in Malasia.

What WAN technologies would make it possible for us to have encrypted access between sites for domain and exchange replication. We have talked about frame relay and and encrypted traffic between firewalls, but I would like to bring more options to the table.

Regards,

David Frank

6 Replies 6

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

I like VSAT for international WAN connectivity but the up front investment in hardware can put some people off. Also, impact of satellite delay on TCP can be a real challenge. It is not for the faint of heart.

I can tell you that serial, T-carrier style connectivity is outrageously expensive (expect multiple tens of thousands of dollars per month per T1).

I have found an individual at Hughes Global Systems to be very innovative where international WANs are concerned (Hughes launches satellites and sells bandwidth so expect his solutions to be slanted in that direction). I can put you in touch if you are seriously interested.

Depends what kind of reliability and security you need. If you're willing to pass your traffic over the Internet and be at the mercy of the Internet when it comes to latency, then I would go with VPN for sure because it's very cost effective.

If you want predictable performance you need Frame-Relay but International Frame is costly.

The best option might be domestic Frame-Relay because it's very competitive nowdays, and VPN for international sites.

Just my $0.02...

I am very interested in a Hughes Global Systems approach to international WAN connectivity via VSAT technology.

I need soln for West Africa.

Contact me offline and I will put you in touch with my contact at Hughes.

svermillion@si-intl.com

alexdg
Level 1
Level 1

How much did you want to spend?

How much bandwidth do you need for these sites?

I suggest a VPN.

Its a simple and cost effective solution to set up tunnels through the internet.

Basically we are looking for BDC, WINS, and Exchange replication to these remote sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco