Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WAN traffic and a serverless office

Good Afternoon,

I am beginning to study the possiblity of removing our servers from our 80 remote offices. However, I cannot find any resources discussing the implications, the pros and cons of a serverless office. As in the impact of the login and local access traffic would now go over the WAN.

Any suggestion for resources?

Thank you for your help,

Pete

2 REPLIES

Re: WAN traffic and a serverless office

I was involved in a pilot of just this. We were trialing NT servers over WAN. It worked (poorly) once the WAN links were at T1 or better.

The servers are still in the remote sites!

Silver

Re: WAN traffic and a serverless office

Been there, done that... the bottom line is that whether or not it will work depends upon what the servers are, how they are configured, and most important, the applications which are using them. For example, I have one client supporting several hundred remote offices using Citrix server for email and such with no performance complaints using 56Kbps links! Another found that even with a T1, processing time went from minutes to hours when the server supporting the database was moved and they had to install a duplicate server.

Generally speaking, if the application/server combination has not been designed to perform acceptably over remote links, forget it. Don't get me started on some of the brain-dead client server applications out there... Also consider the impact on the remote sites when the links to the central site are down. You may find that the cost savings are negative when the loss of productivity is included. Note that this does not mean "don't network." Rather, it means that the network should be justified based on the benefits of sharing information rather than eliminating hardware.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Views
Helpful
Replies