cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Web Access for file server

starsky73
Level 1
Level 1

I have a file server that I would like to access from the Internet. I have a 3800 series cisco router with NAT overload configured on it. I am going to make a static map:

example:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.47 9000 203.2.1.65 9000 extendable

Since I only have two Public IP's and many internal clients, I don't want to dedicate one of my valuable Public IP's solely to one node. If I use the above command, will other clients be able to use the same public address since I have PAT configured?...This configuration, is it a static PAT mapping? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a file server that I would like to access from the Internet. I have a 3800 series cisco router with NAT overload configured on it. I am going to make a static map:

example:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.47 9000 203.2.1.65 9000 extendable

Since I only have two Public IP's and many internal clients, I don't want to dedicate one of my valuable Public IP's solely to one node. If I use the above command, will other clients be able to use the same public address since I have PAT configured?...This configuration, is it a static PAT mapping? Thanks.

Hi,

One single ip and two job PAT is also knows as NAT Overload. PAT technology allows the NAT-enabled router to permit access to the Internet through the public IP address given by the service provider. PAT is a type of NAT, hence it can work simultaneously on a single router.

and for your query if you see the data flow for pat the traffic will be from multiple unregistered IP addresses to a single registered IP address by using different ports. Known also as PAT (Port Address Translation), single address NAT or port-level multiplexed NAT.

and for web access server traffic will be coming from outside world to public ip address on specfic port whihc will be translated to private ip address as configured in router.

Hope to help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

So then, this will work, right? And applying the configuration will not tie up that Public

IP solely to the file server because of the NAT Overload. Thanks.

So then, this will work, right? And applying the configuration will not tie up that Public

IP solely to the file server because of the NAT Overload. Thanks.

Hi,

Yes it should work as per the concepts of NAT because as i have already said PAT will be working for outside traffic with source ip and source port , if you have configured the same public ip for static nat but to have traffic on specifc port on that public ip for different internal ip which is mapped it should work.

Hope to help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: