Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Web filtering with the Cisco IOS feature set

Hello all,

I know cisco and others have appliances that will do web filtering. I am curious as to if a Cisco IOS has the capability to filter web access. Here is the scenario:

A subnet in a corporate needs access to only two website on the internet. The IP address of the servers does change from time to time. So to control access to these two website, naming must be used. No other sites or services should be accessible. I am hoping to use an old spare router (2621) to do this.

Can ACL's be done with a name and not an IP and are there other capabilities of a particular IOS that can allow for more functionality?

Thanks

Carl Foote, CCNA

Bmyster Networking and Webhosting

cfoote@bmyster.com

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Web filtering with the Cisco IOS feature set

Yeah, you can use NBAR to do this. The best place to look is: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080110d17.shtml

This doc talks about using NBAR to block Nimbda, but is the best NBAR doc I've found.

It will probably be MUCH easier to use use ACLs and keep them updated....

Warren.

Re: Web filtering with the Cisco IOS feature set

NOW THAT IS INTERESTING!

Thanks for the link. It will take some playing, but looks like it will work just fine.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content