cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Whan is IP Default Gateway command used...?????//

nanduriks
Level 1
Level 1

Pl. clarify me the circumastances under which ip Default gateway COmmand is used in a router. has this got any relation to ip routing...???

Rgds

Kalyan

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Use it when there is no IP routing available. For instance, on a switch (layer 2)

we need to tell the management port how to send packets to the network. so we define a default gateway, which essentially says "send any non local packetss to this address"

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

This command is usually issued on a switch (L2). It's like when you configure a default gateway for a PC, you'll need to configure a default gateway for the switch also to be able to access it from a remote location. So on a Cisco switch, the command is "ip default-gateway"

ngijare
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to add to the information provided here. ip default-gateway command can also be used in the cisco routers, when the IP Routing is turned off. There routers just act like network hosts.

This information is available in the BSCN coursebook, however, I really wonder why anyone would really like to turn routing off on a router ???

Regards

Nandan

Sometimes U need to Turn off Routing and enable Bridging for some protocols may be across WAN. Then turning routing off might be helpful..

better choice would be IRB in that case

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: