Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

what are the bandwidth difference between a 6148GE and a 6316G

We need high bandwidth to manage servers backup. I did recommend 6316 blades but my customer did notice that the 6148GE did provide 48 10/100/1000 for half the price. Even though I was convinced that there is a clear oversubscription for the 6148, I was enable to find anything about it. Does anyone know the architecture used for the 6148 (for the 6316, I know it uses only the 32 shared bus and can use 16 Gbits bandwidth maximum, if I'm correct).

1 REPLY

Re: what are the bandwidth difference between a 6148GE and a 631

Both the 6316 and 6148 are 'classic' linecards, meaning that they have a connection to the shared 16 Gbps bus. (The 32 Gbps, that you reference is a marketing figure, sort of like "a 3 Mbps T1" or " a 4 Mbps E1").

As you say, the 6148GE is obviously oversubscribed, but it's a bit complex. Reading the marketing stuff, you might think it's 'only' 48-to-32 (3-to-2) oversubscribed, but it fact the ports are 8-to-1 oversubscribed, as the blade is basically six 8-to-1 mux'es that each take eight ports and mux them

onto the bus.

The good thing is that the new 10/100/1000 blades are actually being positioned as 'wiring closet' solutions.

Now, whether the oversubscription is actually a problem for your customer's specific setup, we really don't enough information to tell. If the servers do backup to a single server with a single Gigabit Ethernet connection, 8-to-1 oversubscription might work wery well.

HTH,

-A

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content