Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What device provides the best solution to Convert FDDI to Ethernet

I have spoken to some local Cisco folks and they have told me that I am going

to have a real hard time finding even second hand equipment to do this. The answer was as follows: Anyone have any better ideas?

he FDDI chip manufacturer which was the sole producer of FDDI chips quit making them in 1999. Cisco used to support FDDI in the 5500 and in the 7500 router. If you can find the 7500 FDDI interface cards (try ebay), we have gigabit interfaces available for the 7500. We would need to look into code availablility. You might also buy what ever equipment you need on the secondary market to port the traffic to 100TX then plug into a gig switch (FDDI is

running at 100 mbps anyway). Your going to have a tough time with support from any manufacturer. My recommendation is, do a forklift upgrade, it will be cheaper and less trouble in the long run.

2 REPLIES

Re: What device provides the best solution to Convert FDDI to Et

I'd have to agree with Cisco. Although FDDI equipment was abundant 5, 6 years ago, it was killed off by 100MB and GB Ethernet, ATM; and SONET in the WAN. Nobody even makes converters anymore as far as I know.

It's either EBAY or forklift. I'd bite the bullet and get rid of FDDI, as what will you do in the future as it gets even harder to find the stuff?

Re: What device provides the best solution to Convert FDDI to Et

We have a cisco 2820 Ethernet Switch with 1 FastEthernet Module and 1 FDDI Module. Through this switch we have the link from our FDDI Backbone to the Gigabit Ethernet Backbone.

Views
Helpful
Replies