Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What does %C4K_PKTPROCESSING-4-UNKNOWNBRIDGEORROUTE mean ?

I have about 6 4500 chassis. And all do l3 switching.

Most of them reported:

Mar 28 14:18:29 %C4K_PKTPROCESSING-4-UNKNOWNBRIDGEORROUTE: (Suppressed 33 times)Unable to determine whether to route or bridge replicated software-processed packet with source address 00:16:35:5C:F2:64 and destination address 00:00:0C:07:AC:18

I read the system message guide, but I still can't understand what it mean.

Why does it report this syslog information ? And how to process it ?

any comment is appreciated!

4 REPLIES

Re: What does %C4K_PKTPROCESSING-4-UNKNOWNBRIDGEORROUTE mean ?

HI,

%C4K_PKTPROCESSING-4-UNKNOWNBRIDGEORROUTE 

This message indicates that when a replicated packet is sent to the software by an output

ACL, the hardware does not indicate whether the packet needs to be bridged or routed.

Recommended Action: This is an informational message only. No action is required.

This typically is a relatively rare transient condition that can

happen when the mac address table for an adjacent router has timed out (but the arp entry

is still there) *and* there is some ACL that is directing those packets to the CPU.

you can ignore the message if it is a one-off or not observing any network connectivity or

performance problems.

If you have any performance issue, then you have to contact TAC and get it resolved.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

thanks

I have many other 6500 or 3750/3550 core switch. Why can't I see the same message on those platform? I can see it only on 4500 series switch.

Which type of ACL would directe packets to the CPU ?

It happens frequently on my network, one syslog information would generate per 20 minutes.

Henry, This message is speacific to only cat4500 switches. All the other switches has different architecture than 45K.

Any ACL that basically filters the packet from a source to a destination and processed by the CPU.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

4500 generated it per 20 minutes. Is it happing frequently ? And why all the syslog specify the same source mac-address and destination mac-address ?

Is there any specify data packet that would result in the information ?

thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies