Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

what does it mean

i saw a sentence on CCO: "You can not configure a multi-VLAN port when a trunk is configured on the switch."

i can not understand exactly,that means

1. if i config trunk on a switch,then i can not config multi-vlan port on any port of this switch or

2. if i config trunk on a switch,then i can not config multi-vlan port on this trunk port,but i can config multi-vlan port on other ports.

which is right?

thanks in advance

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: what does it mean

The answer is: if i config trunk on a switch,then i can not config multi-vlan port on any port of this switch

thanks a lot,i understand now,but this will take me some trouble.

My building,4 floors,one switch cat2924 every floor,so total 4 switches,

and i create 4 vlans on every switch. you know,i connect them by using trunk link. now there are 3 users (one is on the3rd floor,and other two on the 4th floor) want to access the whole network(all 4 vlans),

I think if i can create multi-vlan,then i can resolve this problem,

but now i can not create multi-vlan,what should i do?

my boss do not want to buy anything.

Cisco Employee

If trunks are already configured on each switches, there are no ways to configure ports to be multi-VLAN. The only solution would be to trunk to those 2 machines or use multi-VLAN ports between switches.

you mean trunk those 3 uers' machines ?

i think it is a good solution,but would you pls tell me

how to configure those 3 users' Network Interface Card?

Cisco Employee

Not all NIC cards are capable of trunking. Check your NIC manuals and see if it supports trunking

Views
Helpful
Replies