cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what does one light on a port mean?

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

Just finished confguring CiscoView for our Cat 5500 and noticed that on some ports that have no connection to them (the ports are orange on the map) one light is lit green. Can someone please explain the meaning on that?

Thanks.

_ Alex

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Green means that the port is up, orange means down. in CV at the bottom right corner of the screen there's an icon for Color Legen that tells you what each colo mean. So, you're saying that one port to which there's nothing connected to it, CV is showing it as green=up?. Did you check to see that you have the latest CV device pkg installed for this Cat5K?

Yes, the CV is working fine. I see all the 12 blades on that switch with all the ports on the map. However, usually, a port that is up is green and has 2 green lights under it and I have about 6 ports that are all orange but have one light green ( the right hand side light) and the other light is dark.

I was just wondering what that meant.

Thanks.

If you can telnet to the switch, do a "show port x/y" and a "show spantree x/y". This should tell you why the port light is amber

Thanks for your reply. After dinking around with CV a bit more, I saw a pattern, where the right hand side light would indicate that the Configured Speed on the port was manually set to something other than Auto Detect and the left hand side light would indicate that the Duplex was set to half. Is that possible?

Thanks.