Views
Helpful
Replies

What Does Through Put Actually Mean..??

nandurisrini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I am attempting to measure through on one of my WAN Links with Whats up Gold. In that on default packet size of 1024 i am getting some throughput and wwhen I increase the Packet size I am getting a different throughput. Can any one Explain me on the COrrect Info on Throughput.

Rgds

Srini

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi srini

Throughput is a data communications term referring to the actual level of traffic put through the network across a path between a transmitting device and one or more receiving devices, from end to end. (In other words, throughput is a measurement of what real data went in one end and came out the other.)

The network path may involve multiple links and channels and multiple intermediate devices, such as switches and routers. Throughput can never be greater than bandwidth, and generally is quite a bit less for a number of reasons, which I'll list in no particular order.

First, packets errored in transmission may require retransmissions, assuming that the error control mechanism employed is that of recognition and retransmission. Retransmissions eat up some bandwidth.

Second, packet data protocols all involve some level of overhead in the form of various packet headers and trailers, which are signaling and controlling data rather than user payload.

Third, various data communications protocols involve some level of additional overhead for things like call setup, acknowledgments of packet receipt, negative acknowledgements errored packets received, call teardown, and various other control messages.

Fourth, congestion in packet networks may cause packets to be discarded when the buffers in devices (e.g., switches and routers) overflow. Commonly, those packets require retransmissions, which are requested when the receiving device realizes that the packets went missing.

All of these occurrences -- and more -- reduce throughput.

regds

prem

Hi Prem,

Thanks for the Details. I am still not clear on why am i getting a differnet throughputs for different packet size. (Ofcourse less than BW as you mentioned) Can u pl. explain me on this.

rgds

Srini

Also keep in mind that with different size packets, you'll have variance in how much overhead exists compared with data (payload). So with smaller packets, you may see a reduction in throughput.