cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What in a CAT4006 can damage WS-X4014 (SUP3) but not WS-X4013+ (SUP2+) ?

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

I have a customer with a CAT 4006 chassis with WS-X4013+ (SUP2+) module and is working fine. I put in a fully tested WS-X4014 (SUP3) card - tested in our lab CAT4006 chassis - into the customer's CAT4006 and the SUP3 failed to boot. The Status LED flashes green. No power up self-test or boot messages appear on the console. I took back this SUP3 module to my lab CAT 4006 and sure enough the module was damaged by the customer's CAT4006 chassis. i put back customer's SUP2 in customer's CAT4006 and that worked fine. So customer was up again with SUp2.

2nd attempt:

============

I got a new SUP3, again tested it in our lab CAT4006 thoroughly for a couple of days and took it to customer's CAT 4006. Again this new SUP3 failed to boot in exactly the same fashion as the 1st SUP3. So again I put back customer's SUP2 and it came up OK.

I brought back the damaged SUP3 to the lab CAT4006 and sure enough it was damaged too.

Could it be customer's CAT4006 backplane or power supply damaging SUP3 only and not SUP2. Does SUP3 use different voltages which SUP2 doesn't use. Or could it be one of customer's line cards in customer's CAT4006 damaging my SUP3 cards. How can one tell without damaging any more SUP3.

If no answer, then on my next (i.e. 3rd attempt) I am going to replace customer's CAT 4006 chassis and all 3 power supplies in it and put in a new SUP3. If that works OK, I am going to move one line card at a time from customer's CAT4006 chassis to the newly installed CAt4006 chassis. Hopefully i won't damage any more SUP3 card.

Any other suggestion?

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Do a visual check on the Cat4006 believed to be damaged for any visible damage on the backplane's pin connectors. I hate to ask you to try in slot 2 since obviously there is someothing wrong with the chassis and it needs to be replaced anyway but just wanted to confirm if the issue is isolate to slot 1.

Please rate all posts.

Unfortunately I do not have that luxury of trying another SUP3 in the same chassis, What if I try slot 2 and yet blows my SUP3. Instead, I am going to replace the WS-C4006 chassis and use all new

WS-X4008 power supplies and then use my only SUP3 spare that I now have.

The base querry was posted to basically ask if someone can say that SUP2+ (Ws-X4013+) uses this, this and this voltage and hence no problem in the defective chassis, whereas SUP3 (WS-X4014) uses this, this and this voltage and hence possibly getting damaged because of "whatever reason".

The base querry was posted to basically ask if someone can say that SUP2+ (Ws-X4013+) uses this, this and this voltage and hence no problem in the defective chassis, whereas SUP3 (WS-X4014) uses this, this and this voltage and hence possibly getting damaged because of "whatever reason".

>> nope, haven't encounter such a thing or have seen such an issue where it works on one kind of sup and not the other. I ask you to check it visually.because it might show some visible damage that would explain the issue. Very strange.