Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What information do I need to connect several frame connections to one ATM

I'm in the process of connecting several frame connection to a single ATM connection. What information do I need to make this happen.

Carlos

cdetirado@campusmgmt.com

3 REPLIES

Re: What information do I need to connect several frame connecti

Are you asking from the Router / User aspect or the Transport side?

Assuming you are asking about the router side,

On the frame relay side you need the DLCI, the LMI type (usually Annix D / ANSI LMI) and the encapsulation type (I think FRF8 requires IETF)

On the Router connected to ATM, you need to know Path and Channel(VPI and VCI) if ILMI is running and the Encap (AAL5SNAP should be FRF8 encap)

Its really no harder than all frame relay from the router.

Regards;

Doug

One thing you don't want to forget on the ATM side is to set the traffic parameters that the carrier gave you. For example:

vbr-nrt 768 768 1000

If you blow out a full T1 to the carrier but your contract is for half that they will police/drop half of your cells causing you to retransmit like crazy. But if you shape on your router first you'll be able to buffer your data. Not shaping on your router can cause losses of upto 70% of your throughput.

Craig - we've got a large frame to ATM network and we get terrible through put under heavy traffic load. I read what you posted about losses up to 70% and that sounds like us. I did not find a vbr-nrt setting in our host router, a Cisco 3640 purchased and configured by SBC Datacomm - where can I get more information on traffic shaping? Our network is strickly IP - remote locations are all frame (26 sites) our host is and OC3 - many times I see through put of less that 1/2 of what the frame circuit is built for i.e. - 384kbps fractional T1 might get 64kbps of through put.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content