cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the actual throughput of fiber linked 2950 switches?

b-covington
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you really get effective throughput of 1000 mbits with fiber linking two 2950 switches? I heard that the best Juniper routers in this configuration would achieve 622 mbps and that the Ciscos would actually only make it to 45 megabits. What's the truth on that? Any URLs discussing throughput would be appreciated. The scenario is very unusual. Point to point link of maybe 1500 feet with no other devices inbetween. The idea is to provide as many 100 meg (or if we have to, 10 meg) ports on vlans as possible to a group of users all isolated from each other by having their own vlan. They can put any protocol they want on their vlan. I happen to think the Juniper would be better for this, but I don't know enough to know that for sure. -bob

2 Replies 2

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Bob,

Don't know where you read that piece of information, but I am positive that on a 1 G port we would definetly do more than 45 M ;)

This articile from pcmag is for 2950T

http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s%253D1610%2526a%253D17647,00.asp

Try searching for 2950 and backplane in www.cisco.com

the above link doesn't seem to work

Different models have differnet forwarding rates based on its architecture.

You can work with your local CISCO system engineers for demonstration of our product so that you get the true and accurate information first hand.

Thank you for the information. The URL worked fine on my browser. I still did not see anything on the effective rate through the fiber, but I'll keep looking based on your suggestion. Thanks.

-bob