Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What is the advantage of setting VTP mode to transparent?

I have a Cat 6509 and eighteen 3524 and/or 3548's. Obviously I want my 6509 to be in VTP server mode. But is there any advantage/disadvantage to having the 3500's in client or transparent. I would think client, but is transparent use less resources, both internal to the switch, and , external, i.e., network resources. I've seen some CCIE's insist that the 3500's must be in transparent mode and configure the VLAN info on them manually. What is preferred?

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: What is the advantage of setting VTP mode to transparent?

Configuring VTP in transparent mode requires manual configuration, a VTP-transparent switch does not advertise VLAN information to other switches and will ignore VTP updates from VTP clients and servers.

VTP propagates information about the VLAN configuration throughout the switched network. A Catalyst 6000 family switch can operate in any one of these three VTP modes:

Server—VTP servers advertise their VLAN configuration to other switches in the same VTP domain and synchronize their VLAN configuration with other switches based on advertisements received over trunk links. VTP server is the default mode.

Client—VTP clients are similar to VTP servers, except that you cannot create, change, or delete VLANs on a VTP client.

Transparent—VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent switch does not advertise its VLAN configuration and does not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements.

Cisco's recommended mode is Transparent. The reasoning I assume is because of the pitfalls of using VTP and the relative ease of destroying VLAN's by attaching new switches pre-configured with a VTP name.

I think VTP in a small network is OK (up to about 10 switchs and only a handful of VLAN's), but in a large multilayer network with potentially hundreds of VLAN's it can get out of hand very easily.

you can read this best practice document for some analysis

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/103.html#subfirsttwo

Views
Helpful
Replies